Monday, March 21, 2005

Class Review - Real Estate

Why am I so annoyed by classmates who can barely speak English? As a software developer, I spend my day surrounded by people with thick accents. I am frequently the only person in the room who speaks English as a first language. I usually don't even notice it anymore. So why does it bother me in class?

Maybe because at work, I always know what people are talking about - even if they have a thick accent, I'm familiar with all the words and concepts. In class, it's already hard enough to figure out what we're talking about without throwing in an accent.

Also, I wonder if lawyers with almost-unintelligible accents ever become trial lawyers. It's easy to imagine a jury having no patience with trying to figure out what someone is saying. And it's hard to imagine someone with a minimal command of English doing the kind of argument that we did in Moot Court, where you only have 10 minutes to make your arguments.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

And you don't even need a foreign accent to have a problem. I am from Philly and go to law school out west and was once told to get "speech therapy" if I wanted to improve my job prospects. The irony of it was that a lispy homosexual said it to me.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home