Friday, May 06, 2005

Final Exam Review

24 hour take-home exam. It's annoying that I will have to spend an entire 24 hours stressing about an exam. (Well, I guess I don't have to, but I will). But it does give lots of time for snack breaks and blog breaks.

So I have this coworker who doesn't read books. He reads computer books (because we're computer programmers) but he doesn't read novels. He says the only novel he owns is "The Da Vinci Code", which someone gave to him, and that's the only non-technical book he's read in years. He mentioned this on Wednesday and it's been bothering me ever since. How can someone never read books? Actually, I understand how some people can never read books; I have an ex-relative with a mild learning disability who never reads books because it's really a lot of work for her and she was happy when she escaped from high school and could give up that book-learnin' nonsense. But my coworker has a master's degree and as far as I know has no learning disabilities. I just think there's something wrong with never, ever reading books for fun. Books are good for your brain, right? Isn't there something about how you're supposed to exercise your neurons to keep your brain in shape for when you get old? And how would someone learn new things if they didn't read books? Maybe he watches a lot of public television.

I've been thinking about getting him a book I think he would like and giving it to him, but I don't want to get too involved in his freakish bookless life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home