Thursday, April 19, 2007

Making my own cat food

More pet food recalls. I'm kind of fond of my cat -- she does cough up hairballs on the carpet way too often, but she also worships me as a god, so it balances out. So I figured maybe I should just feed her cans of people tuna fish, instead of the killer canned cat food that all the grocery stores are apparently selling now.

So I googled "make your own cat food" just to be sure that giving her cans of people tuna wouldn't be a problem -- and of course it is. Because of the mercury, of course. And I'm not supposed to feed her onions, pork, bacon, milk, etc.

One suggested recipe is "1 lb. ground turkey, 2 tbsp. tomato paste, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder and 2 tsp. brewer's yeast."

Here's another cooking tip: "Add flavorings such as garlic salt and kelp powder to the food you cook for your cat. Small amounts of dairy products are acceptable, but cats should not drink a lot of milk. Use lactose-free milk instead." Are you kidding me? That's more effort than I put into cooking my own food.

Maybe I could feed her cans of spam instead of tuna fish? No - Spam has pork. Ok, maybe I could go to McDonald's and get her a hamburger and chop it up and mix it all together? A hamburger with no onions. Except she wouldn't eat it, because the only thing she'll eat is Fancy Feast. And not the regular Fancy Feast -- the expensive Fancy Feast. Goddam cat. Keeping her alive is way too much work these days. I am SO glad I don't have children.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. McPan said...

My cat likes the crust off bread. I give him a little piece when I make my lunch. At first I was concerned because I eat sourdough, but he doesn't seem affected. He also stole a strip of bacon off my plate once. Strangely, the other cat doesn't seem to understand that people food can be eaten by cats. She's puzzled whenever I try to give her a little piece of whatever.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home